Stewed Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos

Guys, I have a Facebook page now!  Exciting!  Like me!


Okay I'm exhausted from all of those exclamation points.  Let's calm down and talk about my life.  Okay?  Excellent.  I try not to post too much information about myself on here, since this is for the food and not a complain/brag/rant/tell-you-all-about-everything-I'm-doing blog.  But I'm in a sharing mood.  And I've gotten turned down from a few summer internships recently, so I'm feeling a little depressed about that (since I take everything personally, and clearly they just don't like me and I'm a bad person, yep, yep we'll go with that).  I simultaneously understand about myself that I am overly sensitive and take a lot of things personally which aren't personal at all, and can't help but feel slighted when I get those manufactured, overly polite emails about how x company regrets to inform me that they've chosen another candidate blah blah blah.  But... But... I'm so cool guys, you'd really like me, really I'm actually more awesome than that person you've already chosen, hrumph.  And my spoon dives into the Nutella jar once again and finds its way to my mouth, as I stare at the computer screen wondering why I'm not good enough.  Alas, I shall keep trying, but it's still not very encouraging.  Finals week is also approaching, so I'm wondering how much time I'll even have to apply to more jobs.  And deadlines for a lot of summer jobs are coming up.  I'm not stressed about it at all hahahahahahaha (read: hysterical laughter).  

I shall find my salvation in food!  I just pulled together this meal one night for dinner, and I was really pleased with it, so I wanted to share it with you.  And it's really cheap to make - I got four meals out of it (one of which was eaten by John, so I probably could've split that one into two) for about $6 (and this is the land of Hyde Park, where everything is ridiculously overpriced).  I stewed the chunks of sweet potato with just enough stock and water to keep them submerged until they had cooked through, then I let the extra liquid evaporate so I would have a thick black-bean-sweet-potato filling for my tacos.  I really like corn tortillas, so that's what I used, but you could just use flour ones, or lettuce leaves if you want to be like that.  And since everything is better with avocado, you know I didn't pass up the opportunity to buy several of them when they went on sale at Hyde Park Produce.  They're all gone now.  I don't know what happened...

Stewed Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
~2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
2 sweet potatoes, washed and chopped into .25 inch chunks
~1.5 teaspoons cumin
~.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt, to taste
~4 c liquid (I used ~3 c chicken stock and ~1 c water because that's what I had)
1 small red chili, seeded and chopped finely
2 limes
2 avocados
12 corn tortillas, warmed up

Heat the oil over a medium flame, then add in the garlic and half of the chili.  Season with a little salt, then saute for a couple minutes until just beginning to brown.  Stir in the sweet potatoes, then season with salt and let those saute also to develop some caramelization.  Add in the cumin and paprika, then the drained black beans and your stock-water combination.  Turn the heat up to high until the liquid begins to bubble, then turn it back down to medium or medium-low and simmer until the sweet potatoes become soft.  Add more liquid as needed, to keep the sweet potatoes submerged.

Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, turn the heat up to medium-high and allow almost all the liquid to evaporate.  Adjust the seasoning to your tastes, then serve with lime juice, chopped chili, sliced avocados, warm tortillas, and an extra sprinkle of salt.  I didn't think it needed cheese, the avocado was delicious enough, but it's up to you.

No comments :

Post a Comment