Dirty Blondes

I'd just like to state for the record what food I made during this spring break (in no particular order), so that I may look back and reminisce at the amount of food consumed in that apartment:

Chicken pot pie (I think I ate 4/5 of this myself... It was incredible)
Sourdough bread
Sesame bread
Ricotta cheese
Macaroni and cheese to feed 50+ hungry rowers
Roasted garlic bread to feed 50+ hungry rowers
Soft pretzels
Baked doughnuts with chocolate glaze, mango glaze, and cinnamon sugar
Dirty blondies for the Game of Thrones season premier 
Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
Tamales filled with sweet potato and oregano filling or golden raisins

Am I forgetting anything?  If I am, I'll add it later.  In any case, you may feel slighted that I didn't share all of these creations with you.  Hollyyyy what about that chicken pot pie, hmmm?  Don't you wanna share with me?  Am I worth nothing to you?  You are worth so much, dear readers, but I didn't want to give you foodie blog over-load.  Nor could I produce a post, or multiple posts, every day, since I needed to be at the rowing site, sleeping, or working when I wasn't involved in food-related shenanigans.  Lastly, some of these endeavors were first steps in my process of developing and perfecting certain recipes for my enjoyment, and yours (Exhibit A: Chicken pot pie.  I want it to be absolutely positively unequivocally irrevocably perfect before it takes its rightful place as a Holly favorite on this site).  For all these reasons, I've been holding out on you.

But today, witness as I reveal to you a Frankensteinian creation of the most sinful proportions: the love child of a brownie and a blondie, the dirty blonde.  I write blonde rather than blond to encourage to you to decide whether or not to pronounce the e, as you see fit.  Are you making a pun on the phrase dirty blond like a person with dark-blond hair, or on a blond-e like a brown sugar brownie minus the chocolate?  Tell me woman! I haven't decided which way I like it better.  In any case, whatever you call them, they are delicious.  Delicious I say!  And with good reason, since I don't know what can go wrong when you swirl brown-sugar-buttery-ness with chocolate-vanilla-buttery-ness.  Both of these recipes were co-opted from Deb's Smitten Kitchen because she's basically wonderful and funny and has a really cute son and I like her food style.  Yes.  She is lovely.  And I have her book, which is glorious indeed.  You should too.


Deb's favorite brownies and her infinitely adaptable blondies would be heaven on their own, but united, they bring out the best in each other.  I'm pretty sure John ate 3/4 of these in one night.  He, his roommate Kevin, and two of our crew friends, Sophia and Dhruv, gathered in the apartment on Sunday to watch the season premier of Game of Thrones.  Naturally I felt that I had to whip something up for the occasion, and I'd been fantasizing about making these.  They're incredibly easy to make, and you only need one bowl.  I made the blondie batter first, dropped spoonfuls of it into the prepared pan, then just wiped down the bowl with a paper towel and made the brownie batter.  Super duper easy peasy lemon squeezy.

I don't really watch much TV of my own accord.  John has made me more of a TV person, but I'm still not anywhere close to his level of TV consumption.  I actually find it remarkable, and I sometimes wish I were more in-the-know about such pop culture things.  Excuse me, but you haven't  ever watched Mad Men or Friends or Walking Dead?  You heathen!   I know, I know.  I hadn't ever watched Game of Thrones until this event either, so I didn't really know what was going on.  Oh well.  But I will say, to redeem my pop culture dignity, that I've watched every episode of Friday Night Lights (thank you, John), I'm halfway through season 2 of the original Star Trek series, I'm on season 3 of Deep Space 9, and I think I'm on season 3 now of West Wing.  Yeah, fight me.  But actually I'd just be content to watch Food Network.  I know, that must come as a shock to you.

Dirty Blondes

2 sticks butter
1 c brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 c flour
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a square baking pan with butter and flour.  For the blondies, melt 1 stick butter, then add in 1 c brown sugar.  Whisk in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Add 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt and 1 c flour until just combined.  Drop spoonfuls of dough into the prepared pan (you'll swirl them in later so it doesn't matter how big they are or how they're distributed).

For the brownies, melt 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate and 1 stick butter in the microwave at 30 second intervals.  Whisk in 2/3 c sugar, then 2 eggs.  Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt.  Stir in 2/3 c flour until just combined, then pour over the drops of blondie.  The blondie batter is pretty thick, basically cookie-dough-like, so be patient and swirl as best you can.  Bake ~30 minutes until just barely set, then devour.

No comments :

Post a Comment