Espinacas con Garbanzos

I don't have anything terribly thoughtful to say today.  I realized that it's been almost 2 months since I reverted back to pescetarianism (which has mostly been vegetarianism plus fish sometimes when I can get my hands on it), I've been in college for almost 3 years now (which means I am approaching The Beginning of the End, when I will be expected to know what I'm doing with my life and how I'm going to do it), and I'll be going to Chile in 129 days (no, I don't have a countdown on my lapt- okay yea I have a countdown).  It's funny how these things sneak up on you when you're not looking, or when you're just keeping your head down and trying not to watch the clock.


Espinacas con Garbanzos 
(Spinach with Chickpeas)
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1/2 pound dried chickpeas, cooked until soft, or one 29 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound spinach, washed
1 inch slice hearty bread or about 2 slices from sandwich loaf bread, crusts removed and cut into small cubes
1/2 c ground tomatoes or tomato sauce
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine or sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika is fine)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon juice, to taste (this was half a pretty juicy lemon for me)

Place a large pot over medium heat and warm up half of the olive oil until hot and rippling (but not smoking).  Add the spinach with a pinch of salt and wilt the leaves, stirring, until just tender.  Drain in a colander and set aside.  Dump out the remaining spinach liquid from the pot, then wipe it out with a cloth to remove any excess moisture.

Heat 2 more tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.  Fry the bread for about 5 minutes or until golden brown all over, then remove from the pot.  Add the remaining tablespoon of oil with the garlic, cumin and pepper flakes. Cook for about a minute, until the garlic has begun to brown, then add the bread back in and toss with the aromatics.  Turn off the heat and add in the vinegar (stand back unless you want to clear your sinuses out), stirring to lift all the yummy crusty bits off the bottom of the pan.

Transfer to a food processor, blender, or mortar and pestle, and mash to a paste. Return the mixture to the pan and add the drained chickpeas and tomato sauce.  Cook until the chickpeas are hot and have begun to absorb the tomato and spices, 5-10 minutes.  If the consistency is too thick, add a little water (I used ground tomatoes instead of tomato sauce for mine, and had to add about a 1/3 c water, but use your judgment).  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the spinach and paprika, cooking until everything is combined and warmed through.  This would be lovely on some toasty bread, or a baked sweet potato, or just with some broccoli slaw like I did.

No comments :

Post a Comment